Hillfoots 38-6 Highland

Hillfoots 38-6 Highland

After suffering a heavy defeat earlier in the season, Hillfoots bounced back with an emphatic 6 tries to nil victory on Saturday. After a scrappy start, ‘Foots eventually put some phases together and Jamie Murchie ghosted his way through the visiting defence for his first of the afternoon. Hillfoots put themselves under pressure from the kick off by failing to hold onto the ball. The big Highland pack was causing the ‘Foots defence some problems, but their back line was easily kept at bay by some tenacious tackling from the Hillfoots three quarters.

Highland opened their account with a well struck penalty. From the kick off ‘Foots regained possession and set about driving deep into the visitors ’22.With Paterson and Murchie continually breaching the gain line, it looked only a matter of time before Hillfoots extended their lead. A penalty was knocked into the top right hand corner. From the lineout, veteran prop Sandy Penman powered his way round the tail to bulldoze his way over. Gregor Manson converted both tries.


Half time 14-3


Playing downhill in the second half Hillfoots set about securing the win, however for the first 15 mins it was the visitors that held the upper hand. The visiting pack were trying their best to put some decent phases together, but the home defence was having none of it and continually drove the visitors back, disrupting their supply of ball. Getting nowhere against some ferocious ‘Foots tackling, Highland opted for the easy option and kicked their second penalty. Hillfoots reply was immediate. Turning the ball over from the kick off, neat hands along the backline allowed winger Kev Aitken to show a clean pair of heels and secure Hillfoots third try. Jamie Murchie collected his second of the game and the bonus point after good work from the forwards had dragged in the defence allowing Murchie to skip past the tackles again. With the back row of Scott, Spowage and Slade not giving their opposite no’s any peace, it wasn’t long before ‘Foots added to their tally. Once again ball was turned over, fed along the line to Aitken who duly dotted down. Aitken collected his third minutes from the end after a fumble by his opposite number allowed Kev to hack the ball on before gathering it up and touching down. Gregor Manson added another two conversions.

A good performance that moved Hillfoots into joint third. ‘Foots have a week off before entertaining league leaders Aberdeenshire at Tillicoultry on the 16th. 



social position

Share this post